Umm Al Quwain Meaning
Umm Al Quwain Meaning is “Mother of Two Powers”
Obaid says the Word ‘Quwain‘ is inspired by an Arabic word ‘Qawn‘ meaning ‘iron‘. Therefore some believe that it may refer to iron in the place.
There are some locals who believe Umm Al Quwain meaning indicates the richness of activities both on land and water.
In Local Dialects Umm Al Quwain meaning is stated as “the Place of Two Cavities“. Thus reflecting the ‘relief of the place‘.
Al Budoor says Umm Al Quwain meaning refers to the two powers of economy and agriculture possessed by the Emirate. They possessed the land and the sea. Therefore it was called “the mother of two strengths”
Handhal says “the Double Power” relates to one of the tribal leader (Shaikhs). Because he owned hundreds of cannons. But the Shaikh is not known to anyone till now.
Al Omaimi refers “Umm Al Quwain” as “Umm Al Quwatain“. He believes the Emirate’s pride of two forms of geographical powers resulted in its name.
Alternative spelling of Umm Al Quwain: Umm Al Qaywayn
Ruler: Sheikh Saud
Crown Prince: Sheikh Rashid
Ruling Family: Al Mualla
History of Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)
There are a significant number of Archaeology in UAQ.
Some tools like flints and arrowheads have been unearthed from various sites. Ubaid age pottery have been unearthed from the shores of UAQ.
There was contact with Mesopotamia and UAQ as early as 5th millennium BC. A Semi-nomadic tribes inhabited the region during Bronze Age (3000-1300 BC).
The people foraged for timber to smelt copper. And the metals were ported to Persian gulfs. Copper trade with Mesopotamia improved prosperously in UAQ.
Also the prominent crop dates were cultivated. In addition wheat,millet and other grains were also cultivated in some regions where irrigation was easy.
Furthermore during 2500- 2000 BC building and fortress towers were built. Circular burial tombs were the most common building during the era of umm an- Nar.
Due to decline in the resources Al Ali tribes moved some 200 years ago. An independent Sheikhdom was established by Majid Al Mualla (founder of the ruling Al Mu’alla lineage of the Al Ali tribe) in 1775.
Sheikh Abdullah I signed the General Maritime Treaty on 8 January 1820 with United Kingdom. Furthermore for the British protectorate he signed it. The main aim was to keep the Ottoman Turks out.
UAQ has also positioned its route to India like the other Emirates. Consequently UAQ is a salute state. A 3 gun salute gave the recognition.
Facts About Umm Al Quwain
- It is the least populous Emirate among the 7 Emirates of UAE
- Also UAQ is located in the northern side of the country
- The area of umm Al Quwain is 750 Kilometer square (290 sq mi)
- The average temperature during November to march is 27 degree centigrade. And rest of the year it is over 40 degree centigrade
- Furthermore Umm Al Quwain culture revolves around the Islamic religion
- Finally the weekends are Fridays and Saturdays
- The island Al Sinniyah has World’s 3rd largest colony of migratory bird Socotra Cormorant
- In addition Umm Al Quwain has one of the largest undisturbed coastal area in UAE
- On the shoreline there are black-tip reef sharks and green turtles
- Also UAQ is a major boat building center. They produce 20 boats a year while Dubai produces just 20
- On 2 December 1971, Sheikh Ahmad II joined Umm Al Quwain with other Emirates to form United Arab Emirates
Tourism in Umm Al Quwain
- Dreamland Aqua Park is a water theme park
- The Dhow Building Yard is a traditional boat building center
- The Aquarium is a marine research center with local sea creatures
- Islands of UAQ are the at the east of mainland peninsula. There are thick lush of mangroves
- In addition Camel Racing at Al Labsa gives a beautiful terrain view
- Umm Al Quwain Museum is a renovated old fort
- UAQ Marine Club allows you to wind surf or sail
- Also Khor Al Beidah is a place to watch birds, turtles and marine animals
- Emirates Motorplex gives many car riding experiences
- Finally Falaj Al Mualla Garden Park is a place to relax
Image Source: east_med_wanderer, smu_cul_digitalcollections, butinah, marcdubois68